Key System 561 is an all wood, clerestory-roof, New York Elevated car. It has transverse seating in the center and longitudinal seating at the ends of the car. The car was electrified in 1903 and has MU control with a cab and master controller at both ends of the car. There are two trucks with two traction motors in only one truck.
Key System 561 ran on the Richmond Shipyard Railway during World War Two. It was acquired from the New York City Elevated system at the beginning of the War. The car was built as Manhattan Railway car 844 by Gilbert Car Company of Troy (Green Island), New York in 1887. It ran on the Second Avenue Elevated in Manhattan pulled by small steam locomotives. The Manhattan Railway converted their El system from steam to electric third rail traction during the period of 1901 to 1903. Car 844 was equipped with electric propulsion equipment as one of 855 cars that received the new Sprague Multiple Control system at that time. The Second Avenue El was built in the 1870s and was demolished in 1942.
At this time the car became surplus was shipped to the Bay Area for operation of the Shipyard Railway that ran between Oakland and the Kaiser shipyards in Richmond. This railroad was built and operated by the Key System under contract with the US Maritime Commission. When the car arrived in Oakland it was equipped with pilots and pantographs salvaged from SP Red cars. On the Shipyard Railway the cars were painted gray. After about 18 months of operation the Key applied five inch yellow strips to the sides and front end of the car. The Shipyard Railway began operation in January 1943 and was closed at the end of the war in September 1945. The Pacific Coast Chapter of the Railway and Locomotive Historically Society purchased car 561 and 563 after the line closed. They were transferred to Bay Area Electric Rail Association (BAERA )in early 1960s and are part of the operational collection of the Western Railroad Museum in California. 561 and 563 both have the following dimensions Width: 8’ 7”. Length: 46’ 5”. Height: 12’ 8”.
Sacramento Northern 1005 is a double-end, double-truck, arch-roof, wooden interurban car with a steel underframe. It is a combination car with a main compartment, smoking compartment, baggage room, and toilet. The ends of the car have steel sheeting over the wood siding. It was built by the Holman Car Company of San Francisco in 1912 for the Oakland, Antioch and Eastern Railroad. It is part of a four car series, 1003 to 1006. The car went through the typical electric railroad reorganizations, but only operated on two different systems. On the SN system it ran as Oakland, Antioch, and Eastern 1005 until 1920, then San Francisco – Sacramento Railroad 1005 until 1928, and finally the Sacramento Northern 1005 until 1941. In 1936 Sacramento Northern entered into an agreement with the California Toll Bridge Authority to deed a portion of their equipment to the Authority in return for funds to adapt their equipment for coded cab signals, speed control for operation across the Bay Bridge. The 1005 was one of these cars deeded to and passed on to the Authority on abandonment of service in 1941. The cars were awaiting scrapping but with the beginning of World War Two, the Key System was in need of additional equipment and purchased several of the retired SN cars, including 1005. The SN third rail shoes were replaced with Key System third rail shoes for service on the Bay Bridge at the Key System’s 600 volt third rail voltage. The 1005 ran on the Key System’s F line as Key System 495 until June 1949, when the Key took it out of service. The Bay Area Electric Railroad Association purchased the car from the Key System in May 1951 and restored it to its SN appearance.
In 1940-41, the Northern Pump Company, a privately owned business that produced industrial pumping equipment, constructed a manufacturing plant on what is now the Naval Industrial Reserve Ordnance (NIROP) Site in the area of Fridley, Minnesota. With the onset of World War II, the plant was converted to a government-owned, contractor-operated (GOCO) facility whose mission was to produce naval guns for the expanding war effort. As a GOCO facility, the property was owned by the government and operated first by Northern Ordnance, Inc., a subsidiary of Northern Pump Company, and later by FMC Corporation. In 1947, the U.S. Navy purchased the 36.6-acre NIROP building and the land north of the building(known as the “North 40”). In 1964, FMC Corporation purchased the southern portion of the 140-acre property from Northern Ordnance, Inc.
Interurban standard gauge locomotive Dan Patch No. 1OO was built for the Minneapolis, St. Paul, Rochester & Dubuque Electric Traction Co., which began operating in 1910 between Minneapolis and Northfield, Minn. Originally, No. 1OO had two 175 H.P.GM V-8 gasoline engines. With her arrival in 1913 the line became the first U.S. RR operated exclusively with gas-electric motive power.
By 1914 the GM engines were undergoing revision. When No. 100 was bought by Central Warehouse Co. of St. Paul in 1917 it was rebuilt for straight electric operation over their industrial trackage. In 1922 the locomotive was re-sold to the Minneapolis, Anoka & Cuyuna Range Ry., a now-abandoned electric RR once operated just north of Minneapolis. The MA&CR was acquired by the Northern Pump Co. during WWII and reduced to a few miles of industrial switching track serving the naval armaments factory. During 1957 Northern Pump rebuilt No. I00 into a diesel-electric by installing a single 250-H.P. Waukesha diesel, the configuration of today. The Burlington Northern Ry. acquired the MA&CR in 1967 and donated No. 100 to the Minnesota Transportation Museum. Information on the Dan Patch 100 is by permission of the Society for Industrial Archeology. A July 1978 article on the unit can be read at http://www.sia-web.org/newsletters-1980-from-1972/
In 1917 Newport News Shipbuilding ordered and received the first of three center cab storage battery locomotives that would arrive from General Electric by 1920.The units had been ordered as part of a multimillion-dollar expansion and modernization program by the yard even before the United States entered World War I . All three units remained in use at the yard until early 1942 when they were replaced with diesels and sold for scrap. They were in use at the yard when in the 1920s, the yard hired an African American locomotive engineer but had to end his employment after 12 days because the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers Union would not allow him to join the union. The BLE prohibited African American members until well after World War II. The yard had no steam locomotives in its fleet of locomotives in 1940 which was 2 diesel and 3 storage battery powered ones. With the United States in World War II and any capable of further use or being restored to use piece of transportation equipment finding a use to meet the needs of the war effort these units of a late 19th century to early 1900s design found further use. David M Lea a furniture and box maker with a factory complex in Chesterfield County, VA, near the city limits of Richmond, purchased one to join its fleet of two steam locomotives. It was converted to diesel power with minimal alteration to the height of the battery compartments on each side of the cab either during or after the war. It remained in service until the late 1960s or early 1970s when the firm discontinued receiving rail service and the locomotive was sold for scrap. The other two were purchased by the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad for use in its Huntington, West Virginia shops. Both saw decades more of use. The 12 ton B 0-4-0: 220-volt battery-electric shop switcher C&O No. X-5000/Chessie No. 18742, with GE Builder Number: 6966 remained in use until 1991. It was donated to the B and O Museum in Baltimore but is not currently accessible for viewing. Information on the former Newport News Shipyard units is from the B & O Museum, Chesapeake and Ohio Historical Society, and the Old Dominion Chapter of National Railway Historical Society.
Information on the history of the Key System and its 3 preserved units mentioned in the article are from the Western Railway Museum.
Text and photos – Tyler Turpin